"Nashville, Tennessee, Skyline"
Photo courtesy of the Nashville CVB.
Many movies have been made about Nashville. Enough books about Music City have been written to fill a bookcase. And, of course, scores of songs are dedicated to the city of music. But, while music is the lifeblood of Nashville, visitors will also find here a city of culture and history, of haute cuisine, of professional sports, outstanding academics, natural beauty, and pure Southern charm. This city is alive. You can feel its pulse when you walk down its sidewalks. And, fortunately, you can also hear it almost anywhere you go.
Nashville's history begins more than 200 years ago. Long before the first guitar picker moved into town, the settlement of Nashborough-named after Revolutionary War hero Gen. Francis Nash-was being constructed as a fort on the west banks of the Cumberland River in 1779-80. Two groups of pioneer settlers, led by the founding fathers James Robertson and Colonel John Donelson, came by land and by water from Fort Patrick Henry in East Tennessee. James Robertson led a party of men on foot and horseback, arriving on Christmas Day 1779. John Donelson led a flotilla of approximately 30 flatboats, carrying the wives and children of the men who went with Robertson.
Within the next ten years of settlement, Nashborough underwent a name change and became Nashville. The first school was chartered, Davidson Academy, which remains operational today. Andrew Jackson arrived in town to serve as the public prosecutor, and Bob Renfroe opened the first tavern owned and operated by a freed African-American.
In 1796, Tennessee became the 16th state admitted to the Union. With the War of 1812, Tennessee earned its affectionate nickname of the "Volunteer State" by sending hundreds more soldiers to the war than was asked. And soon after, Nashville began to develop its own nicknames. In 1824, the music publishing industry took root with the publication Western Harmony, a book of hymns and instructions for singing. Unbeknownst at the time, the book helped shape Nashville as "Music City" and the "Buckle of the Bible Belt." Andrew Jackson was elected the seventh president in 1828. He built his plantation, The Hermitage, for his beloved wife Rachel.
Nashville was named the permanent capital of Tennessee in 1843, and one year later another Tennessean was elected president - James K. Polk. The year 1845 ushered in the construction of the state capitol building, designed by William Strickland, and the death of Andrew Jackson. Polk died in 1849, only a few years after Jackson's death, and was buried with his wife on the grounds of the State Capitol. During the Civil War, African-American Nashvillians helped Union troops construct Fort Negley. The partially-restored fort overlooking downtown is open to the public.
The photograph to the left is the Tennessee State Capitol Building. Photograph by Mary Ann Sullivan, Bluffton College - http://bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/tennessee/capitol/capitol.htm.
Like many cities, the Civil War steered Nashville in a new direction - a direction looking toward the future and the education of its youth. In a span of 25 years following the war, four colleges were founded including Vanderbilt University as well as Fisk University and Meharry Medical College - colleges established for the higher education of African Americans. With the opening of these learning centers, Nashville developed a third prominent nickname, the "Athens of the South."
The last decade of the 19th century proved to be an explosive one for many industries. The Ryman Auditorium was constructed originally as the Union Gospel Tabernacle, and today it's rated one of the top theaters in the country for performances. Joel Cheek developed the Maxwell House Coffee blend, still going strong 100 years later. Edward Barnard, a local astronomer, discovered the fifth moon of Jupiter. R.H. Boyd founded the National Baptist Publishing Board for the publications of religious materials relevant to the African-American experience. The publishing house is still run by his ancestors. The Tennessee Centennial Exposition was held in 1896 and The Parthenon was constructed in Centennial Park to honor the city's educational commitment as the "Athens of the South."
With the turn of the century came the city's first downtown skyscraper, the first African-American-owned bank - One Cent Savings Bank, the first movie theater and the first Model T Ford in Nashville. Women's Suffrage campaigns and African-American streetcar boycotts took center stage while the world was preparing for its First World War. The Roaring Twenties opened up the doors to music, and with it came the first symphony orchestra and the first show of many for the Grand Ole Opry. The nation slowed down with the Great Depression and waited for relief with President Roosevelt's New Deal. In Nashville, the Parthenon was re-opened in its permanent form, and the construction of Cheekwood mansion was the city's largest employer.
The mid 1940s and early 1950s saw a new movement beginning in the music world. The Opry moved downtown to the Ryman and bestowed upon the Ryman its most affectionate nickname, "the Mother Church of Country Music." Music Row, located on 16th and 17th Avenues South not far from downtown, began to take shape with the construction of recording studios and record labels. Castle Studio, Nashville's first recording studio, opened; Capitol Records became the first major company to locate its director of country music to Nashville; and the Country Music Association was founded. Soon the famous RCA Studio B opened it doors on Music Row and instantly became famous under the management of Chet Atkins. Here the Nashville Sound was crafted and performers like Elvis, the Everly Brothers and Dolly Parton recorded their chart-topping hits.
The Opry said good-bye to the Ryman in 1974 when it moved it its new home on the Gaylord Opryland complex. It was then that the Ryman fell into misuse and dilapidation, and it wasn't until 1994 that the Ryman was restored to its grandeur. In 1996, Tennessee celebrated its Bicentennial, and a mall was constructed north of the capitol to mark the tremendous occasion.
With the turn of the twenty-first century, downtown witnessed a new birth. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum relocated across from the Nashville Arena, and the Frist Center for the Visual Arts opened its doors in the former Art Deco U.S. Post Office.
For more information, visit www.visitmusiccity.com
"Map of Nashville, Tennessee"
Image © Google Maps
The Nashville International Airport has thirteen airlines serving over eighty-six markets, and seeing over four hundred daily airport arrivals and departures. The following is a list of the airlines with gates at the Nashville Airport: American, American Eagle, American Connection, Air Canada, Continental Express, Delta, Delta Express, Frontier Airlines, Skyway/Midwest Express, Southwest Airlines, United Express, US Airways and US Airways Express. For more information visit http://www.nashintl.com/.
Rental Car companies located at the Nashville International Airport and at various locations in Nashville include: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
AMTRAK does not provide direct service to Nashville. North-South service is provided by AMTRAK from Chicago to New Orleans which includes stops in Newbern, and Memphis, Tennessee. (Newbern is 178 miles west of Nashville. Memphis is 212 miles west-southwest of Nashville.)
For information by telephone call: 800-USA-RAIL. Visit online at the Amtrak website: http://www.amtrak.com.
Highway Access by Bus or Automobile
Greyhound Bus lines provides bus service to Nashville, Tennessee. For more information concerning schedule and route information, contact Greyhound Bus Lines.
Major interstate highways serving Nashville include Interstate Highway 40, Interstate Highway 24, and Interstate Highway 65. Interstate Highway 40 runs east-west from Barstow, California to Wilmington, North Carolina. Interstate Highway 65 runs north-south from Gary, Indiana to Mobile, Alabama. Interstate Highway 24 runs northwest-southeast between Interstate 57 (which is southeast of St. Louis) and Chattanooga, Tennessee, where it intersects with Interstate Highways 59 and 75.
Nashville — The very name evokes vivid images - a single spotlight illuminating a microphone, skyscrapers towering protectively over the Mother Church of Country Music, stately Southern mansions, a Greek temple sitting serenely on a grassy knoll. The area's many attractions paint a picture of this unique Southern city and leave an indelible impression on all who visit.
Belle Meade Plantation
"Belle Meade Plantation", Nashville, Tennessee
Photo courtesy Nashville CVB and Robin Hood.
The "Queen of Tennessee Plantations" began in 1807 when Virginian John Harding bought Dunham's Station log cabin and 250 acres on the Natchez Trace. For the next 100 years, the Harding family prospered, building their domain into a 5,400 acre plantation that was world renowned as a thoroughbred horse farm. In the early years, Harding boarded horses for neighbors such as Andrew Jackson, and he was breeding thoroughbreds by 1816. He shipped grain to Charleston and New Orleans, and owned large tracts of land in Arkansas and Louisiana. In 1853 John Handing's son, William Giles Harding, completed the mansion, doubling its size and adding the front porch and columns, which are solid limestone. The Belle Meade Plantation became a stunning example of the grandeur of the South's Greek Revival Ante-Bellum architecture.
Harding was very wealthy, very pro-secession and donated $500,000 to the Southern cause. When the Federals occupied Nashville in February 1862, Harding was arrested and sent north to be imprisoned in Fort Mackinac, Michigan. His wife, Elizabeth McGavock, was left to tend the plantation. In September, Harding was released on parole and returned to Belle Meade.
The Belle Meade Plantation was headquarters for Confederate Gen. James R. Chalmers of Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry command prior to the Battle of Nashville (December 1864). On the first day of the battle, Union soldiers burned the Rebel wagons parked at the racetrack while Chalmers was elsewhere. Returning to Belle Meade, Chalmers' men charged the Yankees and drove them back before running into an enemy infantry camp. The Yankees fired as the cavalry galloped back past the mansion, where Selene Harding, nineteen, waved a handkerchief despite the bullets flying around her. Bullet holes can still be seen in the porch columns.
After the war, William Harding turned over control of the farm to his son-in-law, William Jackson, a West Point graduate who had commanded a cavalry division under Gen. S.D. Lee in Mississippi and Louisiana. Under Jackson's tutelage, Belle Meade (French for "beautiful meadow") became an internationally renowned Thoroughbred farm and showplace. The farm sold breeding stock of ponies, Alderney cattle, Cotswold sheep, and Cashmere goats. The vast estate also featured a 600-acre deer park. At its sale in 1904, Belle Meade was the oldest and largest thoroughbred farm in the United States.
In 1953, Belle Meade Mansion and eight outbuildings on 30 acres were deeded to the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities. Today, the Belle Meade Plantation is one of Nashville's most popular attractions, and is managed by the Nashville chapter of the Association.
Belle Mead Plantation highlights include the 1853 Mansion (restored to the sumptuous elegance of the Victorian era), the 1890 Carriage House and Stable, and the 1790 Log Cabin, one of the oldest housed in Tennessee.
For more information about Belle Meade Plantation visit their website: http://bellemeadeplantation.com. Article courtesy of http://www.nashville.com © Castello Cities Internet Network, Inc.
The moving spirit behind Belmont Mansion is Adelicia Hayes Franklin Acklen Cheatham. She was born on March 15, 1817, into a prominent Nashville family. At the age of 22, Adelicia married her first husband, Isaac Franklin, a wealthy businessman and plantation owner who was 28 years her senior. Isaac Franklin and Adelicia had 4 children together, all of whom died before the age of 7. After 7 years of marriage, Isaac Franklin died unexpectedly of a stomach virus while visiting one of his plantations in Louisiana. As a result of his death, Adelicia inherited a huge estate including: 8,700 acres of cotton plantations in Louisiana; Fairvue, a 2,000-acre farm in Tennessee; more than 50,000 acres of undeveloped land in Texas; stocks and bonds; and 750 slaves. At the age of 29, in 1846, Adelicia Franklin was independently wealthy, worth about 1 million dollars. On May 8, 1849, Adelicia remarried, to Joseph Alexander Smith Acklen, a hero of the Mexican war and a lawyer from Huntsville, Alabama. Together they built Belmont Mansion (originally named Belle Monte), completing construction by 1853.
The photograph of Belmont Mansion, above right, is courtesy of the Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau and Bob Schatz.
Belmont Mansion was built in the style of an Italian villa and was set amidst elaborate gardens. There were numerous outbuildings, including the water tower, still standing today; it provided irrigation for the gardens and supplied water for the fountains. In front of the water tower stood a two-hundred-foot long greenhouse and a conservatory. Also on the grounds were an art gallery, gazebos (still standing today), a bowling alley, a bear house, and a zoo. Adelicia Acklen opened the estate to the citizens of Nashville to enjoy the zoo, as no public zoos existed.
In 1859, the Acklens hired Adolphus Heiman, a Prussian born architect working in Nashville, to enlarge and remodel Belmont Mansion. Heiman enclosed the back porch to create the Grand Salon, a very large room containing a French-style, barrel-vaulted ceiling. Architectural historians described the grand salon as "the most elaborate domestic space built in antebellum Tennessee."
With this new addition, Belmont Mansion contained thirty-six rooms and approximately 10,000 square feet of living space. An additional 8,400 square feet of service area was located in the basement. The house was filled with fine furniture, paintings, and marble statues.
In 1887, Adelicia sold Belmont Mansion to a land development company after she moved to Washington, D.C., permanently. Later that year, she contracted pneumonia while on a shopping trip to New York City, and died in a Fifth Avenue hotel. Her body was returned to Nashville to be buried in the family mausoleum at Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Two women from Philadelphia purchased Belmont Mansion and, in 1890, opened a girl's school. Later merging with Nashville's Ward Seminary, the school was renamed Ward-Belmont, and became an academy and junior college for women. In 1952, the school again changed ownership and the school became the present-day Belmont University. Belmont University is a coeducational, liberal arts school offering bachelor and graduate degrees.
Belmont Mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Belmont Mansion Association, a private nonprofit restoration and preservation organization, was formed in 1972 with the purpose of caring for and maintaining this historic site. For more information, online, the reader can visit http://www.belmontmansion.com/
Country Music Hall of Fame
Country Music Hall of Fame®.
Photograph by Barry M. Winiker, courtesy of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau.
The Country Music Hall of FameŽ and Museum has been the home of America's music since 1967. In 1961 the Country Music Association (CMA) announced the creation of the Country Music Hall of Fame and chose its first three inductees — Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, and Fred Rose. These first three members were announced in November at a CMA banquet held in conjunction with WSM-radio's tenth annual disc jockey convention. The Hall of Fame members' plaques, with facial likenesses and thumbnail biographies cast in bas-relief, were unveiled on the Grand Ole Opry by Ernest Tubb. Until 1967, these plaques and those for subsequent Hall of Fame inductees were displayed in the Tennessee State Museum in downtown Nashville.
In 1963 the CMA announced plans for a Country Music Hall of FameŽ and Museum to be built on Music Row in Nashville. That same year the state of Tennessee chartered the Country Music FoundationŽ, Inc. (CMF) as a non-profit, educational organization charged with operating the Museum.
The original Country Music Hall of FameŽ and Museum opened on Music Row (Sixteenth Avenue and Division Street) on April 1, 1967, and closed December 31, 2000. During these years of rapid growth and expansion the Museum's operations came to also include educational programs, CMF Press and CMF Records, the Country Music Foundation Library (1968), and the historic sites RCA Studio B (1977) and Hatch Show Print (1986).
The new Country Music Hall of FameŽ and Museum celebrated its grand opening on May 17, 2001. The new $37 million, landmark, facility features the Hall of Fame Rotunda, where the bronze plaques are displayed for future generations to honor and enjoy.
Located on the west bank of the Cumberland River, just a few steps from the historic Ryman Auditorium and the honky-tonks of Lower Broadway, the monumental edifice, a visceral experience for approaching visitors, invigorates the skyline in downtown Nashville's entertainment district.
Inside, the Museum presents the crown jewels of its vast collection to illustrate country music's story as told through the turns of two centuries. A treasure trove of historic country video clips and recorded music, dynamic exhibits and state-of-the-art design, regular menu of live performances and public programs, Museum Store, on-site dining, and fabulous public spaces all contribute to an unforgettable museum experience.
The Country Music Hall of FameŽ and Museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums, certifying that the Museum operates according to the highest standards, manages its collection, and provides quality service to the public. Of the 8,000 museums nationwide, only some 750 are accredited.
"Country music is still devoted to the lyric and to the telling of stories, which people love and people need. Country music artists took what they heard around them, material that was in the air and that was common currency, and they made something entirely new. This is a museum that preserves their memory so that they can continue to inspire creators in the future. It's also a museum that honors the people who their music was made for. Those people are all of us, people who've ever been lost or confused or sad or felt excluded. This museum helps to preserve these tributes to our condition."
- Garrison Keillor
Visit the Country Music Hall of Fame at their website: http://www.countrymusichalloffame.org.
General Jackson - Showboat
General Jackson Showboat.
Photograph courtesy of the General Jackson website: http://www.generaljackson.com.
Our 300 foot paddlewheel river boat is one of the largest showboats in the country. It boasts four massive decks with a beautiful two-story Victorian Theater located in the center of the boat, where live music shows are performed. Both midday and evening cruises offer a variety of entertainment options throughout the year. You'll always find something new just around the bend. Holiday cruises begin mid November each year and Special Cruises includes a festive New Years Eve celebration. 2009 will bring exciting new shows, so be sure to check back for more details. The General Jackson is an experience you'll only find in Music City!
Evening Cruises - A delicious dinner, a fantastic show, and a cruise down the Cumberland River are all included in your night of fun aboard our wonderful showboat.
Midday Cruises - Immerse yourself in the proud tradition of the great showboats of yesteryear and delight in the panoramic sights of the scenic Cumberland River as you enjoy a leisurely two-and-a-half-hour afternoon cruise aboard The General JacksonŽ Showboat.
Visit our web site: http://www.generaljackson.com.
Forts Negley & Nashborough
Fort Negley - Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, Fort Negley was the largest and most important of the fortifications built by Union forces after Nashville fell in 1862. It occupied the center of the Federal defensive line, which stretched in a wide circle around the southern part of the city. Built primarily by slaves and free black workers conscripted into service, Fort Negley is the largest inland stone fortification constructed during the Civil War and incorporates a complex polygonal design.
Come into the Visitors Center and learn how the Union Army captured Nashville in 1862 as you watch the film The Fall of Nashville. The river, turnpikes, and railroads had spurred the growth of the city from its beginnings. The Union Army occupied the city to control these transportation routes. Almost overnight, Nashville was transformed into the Union Army's major supply depot for the Western Theater of the war.
The photograph, on the left, shows the overlook from the upper part of Fort Negley. Photograph by "Dyersburg Traveler" courtesy of http://www.tripadvisor.com.
Learn the story of the 2,768 people who built Negley. It was the largest of a group of forts built by the Union, and the largest inland masonry fort built during the Civil War. It was 600 feet long, 300 feet wide, and covered four acres of land. The workers lived in a contraband camp on the northeast side of the work site, and were both free blacks and slaves who had been conscripted by the Union to serve as laborers. Between 600 and 800 died during the construction, and only 310 ever received pay.
See photos of Nashville during the Occupation, and learn about the Fort's architecture and artillery with interactive displays. A kiosk in the lobby provides a link to the National Park Service's Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, where you can search for your Civil War ancestors.
Walk up the hill to the remains of Fort Negley. Enter through the sally port used by Union troops, gaze to the south from the observation deck, and imagine the lives of the men who worked and fought here and the citizens of Nashville whose lives would never be the same.
Fort Nashborough - Nashville was founded when James Robertson led his group of pioneers across the frozen Cumberland River to a place called The Cedar Bluffs. It was here that these men built a fort called Nashborough which would be shelter for the first families until Indian attacks ended in 1792. This replica of the original settlement of Nashville is authentic in many details, reflecting the lifestyle of frontier pioneers in the late 1700s.
Though it's much smaller than the original, this reconstruction of Nashville's first settlement includes several buildings that faithfully reproduce what life in this frontier outpost was like in the late 18th century. The current fort looks oddly out of place in modern downtown Nashville, but if you're interested in Tennessee's early settlers, this site is worth a brief look. Allow 30 minutes or more if you've got kids who want to play here.
Information on both forts courtesy of the City of Nashville web site: http://www.nashville.gov.
Grand Ole Opry
GRAND OLE OPRY Stage
Photograph by Randy Piland courtesy of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau.
The Grand Ole Opry is the show that made country music famous, and the Grand Ole Opry House is the place where the magic has happened for more than 35 years. A tour of the Opry House provides a behind-the-scenes look at country's most famous show and a true entertainment business phenomenon, complete with great stories about the Opry and its members as well as enough photo opportunities to fill any Nashville scrapbook.
Tours are most often available seven days a week, though schedules can vary depending upon other Opry House commitments. On evenings in which there is only one Opry performance, tours are also available immediately after the show.
The Grand Ole Opry House is not the Opry's first (or even second or third, fourth, or fifth) home. The Opry began in 1925 in the WSM radio studios in downtown Nashville.
It moved to the Hillsboro Theater, near Vanderbilt University in 1934. From there it moved to the Dixie Tabernacle in East Nashville in 1936, and then back downtown to the plush War Memorial Auditorium in 1939. The show moved to the Ryman Auditorium in 1943, and moved to the current home in 1974. In 2005, the Opry House passed the Ryman as the longest running home of the Grand Ole Opry. Since 1999, the Opry has returned to the Ryman during the winter for a series of performances there.
Alan Jackson once delivered mail to the "Opry Post Office," where he now has his own mailbox. Little Jimmy Dickens' mailbox is the only Opry member's box not in alphabetical order, such that his box is easily within reach for the 4'11" star. Speaking of the Post Office, among the past Opry members who've had their own U.S. postage stamps are Roy Acuff, Patsy Cline, and the Carter Family. The list of artists who've taped TV specials in Studio A, the working TV studio located within the Opry House, is vast and varied. Among them: Kenny Chesney, Elton John, Uncle Kracker, Loretta Lynn, James Taylor, and ZZ Top. Artists including Trace Adkins, members of Diamond Rio, and Lorrie Morgan made a mark on some of the Opry's backstage dressing rooms, as they helped renovate them in front of cameras for a number of do-it-yourself TV programs in 2008.
When the Opry moved from the Ryman Auditorium in 1974, the show took part of the Ryman with it. A round circle of wood from the Ryman sits center stage at the Opry House. Now, recent Opry additions such as Dierks Bentley and Montgomery Gentry can still perform on the same stage as legends such as Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, and countless others.
You may visit the Grand Ole Opry online at http://www.opry.com/.
The Hermitage - Home of President Andrew Jackson
The Hermitage - Andrew Jackson's Home
Photograph by SC Berry courtesy of
The Hermitage is the most authentic early presidential home in America, where you'll be a honored guest in the Jackson family mansion, the formal garden, slave quarters, and the original log cabin the Jacksons occupied in 1804. Their 1,100-acre plantation was once home to 150 enslaved African Americans who worked the farm, cultivated the gardens, tended livestock, baled cotton, cared for the home and its guests, and met countless other needs of the plantation.
The Hermitage is much more than the mansion. Take time to discover Andrew Jackson's life story, stories about his farm and the slaves who worked it, descriptions of the many other sites and buildings on the property, and the efforts to preserve them. The story of The Hermitage — how these 1000 acres changed from frontier forest to Andrew Jackson's prosperous farm, deteriorated into post-Civil War dilapidation and was finally rescued to its current state as a public museum and National Historic Landmark — mirrors many stories in American history. These stories of Indians, white men moving west, slavery and freedom, the changing roles of women, religion and reform, and fortunes made from cotton are the stories of Jacksonian America.
The Hermitage is open daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The site is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the third week in January. Tours are self-guided except at the Hermitage mansion where guides in period dress meet you. Tours include a 15 minute introductory film, exhibits of Jackson and Hermitage artifacts, and special changing exhibits. You can also visit original slave cabins, Jackson's tomb, the Hermitage garden, and the Hermitage Church. The mansion tour takes approximately 20 minutes, but we suggest allowing two hours for your guests to enjoy all The Hermitage has to offer or one hour for the mansion tour only.
Since 1889, The Hermitage has been run by the Ladies Hermitage Association and is funded only by ticket, sales, donations, and grants. It receives no ongoing state or federal money.
Visit The Hermitage web site at: http://thehermitage.com.
Music City Walk of Fame & Music City Mile
The Music City Walk of Fame on Nashville's Music Mile is a landmark tribute to those from all genres of music who have contributed to the world through song or other industry collaboration and made a significant contribution to the music industry with connection to Music City.
Gibson Guitar, the world's premiere musical instrument manufacturer with headquarters in Nashville, is the founding sponsor of the Music City Walk of Fame.
Photo on the right shows Reba McEntire at the Music City Walk of Fame. Photography by Nora courtesy of About.Com a part of the New York Times Company web site http://nashville.about.com.
Inductees are announced and honored at a special ceremony with a permanent platinum-and-granite, star-and-guitar sidewalk marker. Inducted honorees include: Boudleaux & Felice Bryant, Fisk Jubilee Singers, Reba McEntire, Ronnie Milsap, Roy Orbison, Kenneth Schermerhorn, The Crickets, Emmylou Harris, John Hiatt, Wynonna Judd, Frances W. Preston, Michael W. Smith, Buddy Killen, Barbara Mandrell, Vince Gill, Bob DiPiero, Rodney Crowell and Jimi Hendrix.
The Music City Walk of Fame is an official project of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau Foundation (Music City, Inc.). The foundation was established to further the education, research and training for Nashville's hospitality industry and to produce events and projects in association with the City of Nashville. The Music City Walk of Fame is being produced with the support of Gibson Guitar, Maker's Mark, the City of Nashville and Metro Parks. The Music City Walk of Fame will recognize members of the Walkway of Stars with a commemorative marker. The Walkway of Stars honors country performers of national reputation elected by a majority of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum's Board of Trustees.
"The Music Mile" is roughly a one-mile stretch which connects downtown to Music Row. Heading west from the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, you'll encounter nearby neighbors such as the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, the Nashville Arena, the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum, the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, and the soon-to-be-under-construction Gospel Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Just a bit further on The Music Mile are the ever-changing galleries of the Frist Center for the Visual Arts, and down the road you'll find vibrant new entertainment, restaurant and shopping venues on Demonbreun Street and the Music Row Roundabout. The Roundabout, site of the imposing Musica sculpture and adjacent to Owen Bradley Park, serves as a gateway to the music industry that has collected on 16th and 17th Avenues South, including RCA Studio.
For more information visit the web site: http://www.visitmusiccity.com/walkoffame/.
The Parthenon - City of Nashville Art Museum. Photograph by Gary Layda courtesy of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau.
The Parthenon stands proudly as the centerpiece of Centennial Park, Nashville's premier urban park. The re-creation of the 42-foot statue Athena is the focus of the Parthenon just as it was in ancient Greece. The building and the Athena statue are both full-scale replicas of the Athenian originals.
Originally built for Tennessee's 1897 Centennial Exposition, this replica of the original Parthenon in Athens serves as a monument to what is considered the pinnacle of classical architecture. The plaster replicas of the Parthenon Marbles found in the Naos are direct casts of the original sculptures which adorned the pediments of the Athenian Parthenon, dating back to 438 B.C. The originals of these powerful fragments are housed in the British Museum in London.
The Parthenon also serves as the city of Nashville's art museum. The focus of the Parthenon's permanent collection is a group of 63 paintings by 19th and 20th century American artists donated by James M. Cowan. Additional gallery spaces provide a venue for a variety of temporary shows and exhibits.
For information visit the website: http://www.nashville.gov/parthenon/.
The Ryman Auditorium
Ryman Auditorium. Photograph by Donnie Beauchamp courtesy of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Ryman Auditorium is a 2,362-seat live performance venue located at 116 Fifth Avenue North in Nashville, Tennessee. It is a National Historic Landmark and former home of the Grand Ole Opry (1943-1974). Ryman Auditorium continues its more-than-100-year music tradition by offering the best in entertainment. Open daily from 9 am to 4 pm, excluding New Year's, Thanksgiving, and Christmas days, the Ryman offers tours that showcase the legendary stars who have graced her stage, from the biggest names in music to Mae West, Rudolph Valentino, and W.C. Fields. Then, in the evening, you can return to the premier performance hall for one of the many shows and concerts scheduled year-round.
Ryman Auditorium first opened its doors in 1892, as a vision of Captain Thomas G. Ryman, and was known as the Union Gospel Tabernacle. With the coming of the Grand Ole Opry show in 1943, the Ryman found its identity as the Mother Church of Country Music. In 1974, the Opry moved to its current home by the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center and left the Ryman vacant. It was not until twenty years later in 1994 that the Ryman was restored to be the national showplace that it is today. Musicians ranging from Roy Acuff to James Brown, and Patsy Cline to Sheryl Crow have performed on the Ryman stage, making it a historical as well as a current-day icon for people everywhere.
For more information visit their web site: http://www.ryman.com/.
Nearest Military Base
Fort Campbell is the nation's premier power projection platform. Strategically located on the TN/KY state line, the 106,700 acre installation possesses a unique capability to deploy mission-ready contingency forces by air, rail, highway, and inland waterway. Fort Campbell is approximately 60 miles north-west of Nashville. It is located on the Tennessee / Kentucky border just outside of Clarksville, Tennessee. The base is accessible from Interstate 24.
Fort Campbell is proud to be the home of the only Air Assault Division in the world, the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). We are also the home of two prestigious Special Operations Command units, the 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne).
The image on the left is for the US Army Airborne Screaming Eagles. The art work is by Black Ink Design Inc., BlackInkTees.Com.
Additionally, we are the home to the 86th Combat Support Hospital, the 716th MP Battalion, and sizable Medical and Dental activities. We provide training and mobilization support for numerous Army National Guard and Army Reserve units. Fort Campbell is an Army installation that supports active and reserve component units, Army civilians, Army Families, retirees and veterans.
The Turner Army Lodging provides 135 room accommodations; first priority for occupancy is for incoming/outgoing PCS personnel and their Family members. Reservations for incoming/outgoing personnel may be made 60 days in advance. Reservations may be made by mail, telephone, or in person from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m daily to Turner Army Lodging. All others, 14 days in advance if space is available. The Turner Army Lodging is operational seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Call 270-439-2229 to make reservations.
Visit Fort Campbell online at their web site: http://www.campbell.army.mil/.
Other Attractions in the area:
BONNIE BLUE FLAG
A popular song of the Confederacy.
MIDI arranged by Barry Taylor.
Contact the Webmaster